What I learned by watching Super Bowl 48
Rarely is there free time to jam out some personal writing, but I felt obligated after watching last night’s communal sports happening. I whipped up this quick list of interesting/insane/inane/other words that begin with the letter I stuff I learned while watching Super Bowl 48:
- Pizza Hut’s biggest new innovation is making actual fucking pizza. Seriously. And that’s for a “limited time only.” Then they’ll go back to exclusively creating pizza some other way I guess? I sincerely couldn’t grok this, which either shows how disconnected I am from regular TV adverts or that I have a lot to learn still in terms of being surprised (or both).
- The Super Bowl is sort of about football, but also about attempting to bizarrely fuse the hardcore world of sports with patriotism and entertainment. This is a pretty obvious observation I realize, but the incongruity of themes sticks out way more as I get older.
- Sports music is the actual worst music in the world. I don’t mean the music playing in the stadium from Top 40 artists (which is pretty terrible by itself), but the stuff playing behind broadcasters talking, as the broadcast leads to commercial, etc. So dramatic! So silly! Rings pretty false when you’re watching a game where one team has eight points and the other has over 40, and rings cliché when it’s applied to actually dramatic moments. Either way, if I were a sports fan, that shit would drive me nuts.
- Freaking out about Richard Sherman pseudo-freaking out is nuts when you consider the canned bullshit that came out of Russell Wilson’s mouth after winning the goddamn Super Bowl. It’s not quite the direct ad campaign that is, “I’m going to Disneyworld!”, but it’s pretty close.
- You can totally watch the Super Bowl on *anything* at this point. Like, tablet, phone, laptop, broadcast TV — WHATEVER YOU WANT. It’s insane. We streamed the whole game, commercials and all, through this sorta-Steam Machine. Our friend didn’t even know! THE FUTURE! We are in it!
- Wings are still delicious, but especially if you make them yourself using Alton Brown’s killer recipe. Dude is a champ. Whoever won the Super Bowl is immaterial, because I won the damn Super Bowl. Because wings.